Fertilizing Tomato Seedlings and Transplants: Practices and Pitfalls

Fertilizing Tomato Seedlings and Transplants: 
Practices and Pitfalls 


I have two videos that go along with this blog article. I wanted to do two videos about fertilizing that would give you some information to best design your own routine. There is no single method for fertilizing your indoor tomato seedlings and transplants. As with any gardening activity.... ask 1000 gardeners and you will get 1000 answers. All different but yet with similar themes.

A plant can not tell the difference between organic and inorganic fertilizer. So use what you prefer and what is available in your area. I don't like the organic products for indoor use. They just smell bad. But fish emulsion and other products will be used in my greenhouse and garden beds. Every product has a use if used with a plan.




The biggest point I want to stress is to use a water soluble fertilizer at 1/2 strength. Some people even use 1/4 strength. Your tomato seedlings and transplants do not need a full strength fertilizer. The plants are small and most liquid fertilizers have a ratio of N-P-K (nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium) that are just to high for plants in seed cells and small cups.

I also want to mention that gardening is a global activity. What we have here in the US in ways of fertilizer choices, convenience and labeling, is not found in every Country. We can only use what we have available to us.




Now... all this being said, damaging your plants with fertilizer is very hard but it can happen. Practice a 1/2 strength routine or less and you will be fine. These videos are for information so you can use it to develop and establish your own practice of fertilizing.

Good Luck in Your Gardens,
Gary


Join My New YouTube Channel Just for NEW Gardeners: My First Vegetable Garden

Join My Google+ Community Our Tomato and Vegetable Gardens (2500+ Members!)
250 HD Short and to Point Garden Videos: My YouTube Video Gardening Channel
Follow and Organize The Rusted Garden on Pinterest

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Seed and Garden Shop: My First Shirt - A Garden Wants to Give!

How to Make Inexpensive Sterile Starting & Potting Mix: Peat, Vermiculite & Perlite - No Fungus Gnats

Introducing Episode 1 of Gardening 101: Indoor Vegetable Seed Starting Basics: Seeds, Starting Supplies & Lighting